Eco-modulation task force response to the 2018 Directive 2018/851/EU on Waste, the WEEE Compliance Promotion Exercise and the 2019 Commission’s draft Guidelines on general minimum requirements.
Objective of the task force is to proactively set the framework, principles and mechanisms for a harmonised eco-modulated fee scheme in Europe which is compatible with both:
- existing EPR implementation
- and the producer community’s current calls for system change as outlined in “An enhanced definition of EPR and the role of all actors”.
The task force set out to explore:
- which criteria and products can be selected for eco-modulation,
- how to develop a simplified fee modulation,
- how to construct the compliance framework for both producers and PROs,
- the operational aspects of bonus/malus,
- how to embed Ecomodulation in a competitive PRO landscape
- and how the fee can be utilized as a tool to influence purchasing behaviour and stimulate sustainable product design.
The work of the task force is on-going, and the final results will be presented at an event in December 2021.